
I have a thing about Peeps marshmallow candies. I like them them. A lot. I like their soothing uniformity. I like their weird waxy, mole-like eyes. I like their cheerful, sometimes lurid colors. I like their pop art appeal. I like that they are something only Americans would invent, much less eat.
And yes, I like eating Peeps. People often ask me, "Do you really eat them? Seriously?" Yes, my friends, and with relish. Once when I was really hungry my sister Ashley had to pry a 12-pack from my hands before I could snarf them all down in one sitting. They're light as air, crunchy on the outside and gooey on the inside. Their only flavor is pure, unadulterated sugar. What's not to like?
I have made friends over Peeps. Peeps lovers tend to bond. Check out my photographer friend Corey Lesh's awesome "Peep Show" photos here. I like the "Peeps in a hot tub" and jello mold Peeps best. Corey was the photographer for a website I used to work for, and his Peeps photos were the first thing that greeted me when I walked through his studio door. We were fast friends.
I wouldn't say I've made enemies over Peeps, but I have definitely been dis-esteemed by the occasional Peeps-hater who perhaps lost too much enamel, or wasn't loved by his mother. People have strong feelings about Peeps.
Inspired by New York chocolatier Jacques Torres, Jamie, Olivia and I tried making our own chocolate-covered Peeps last Easter. SO GOOD. So, at the risk of being tacky, I called the Just Born people, and after some cajoling and pulling of strings, talked them into sending me two crates of marshmallow Peeps for my wedding. I cannot tell you how giddy I was for a full week, knowing that 400 marshmallow Peeps were on their way to my house.
Most brides won't admit it, but you can tell by their glazed-over expression that wedding planning is not that fun. I know it can sound like sacrilege--but as intimate, soulful and joy-filled as a marriage ceremony or marriage for that matter may be, wedding planning is stressful. And when you've spent all day deciding between dots and plaid; apricot chicken or teriyaki beef; and I mean you've really, really soul-searched over it, wedding planning can even feel vapid.
After poring over buttercup vs. daffodil yellow and the merits of a band over a D.J., 400 marshmallow Peeps make a lot of sense. It's the little, silly things that keep it fun for me, and keep me from going a little (more) insane.
17 comments:
i love you for this. so original. so you.
Love this post and I love that you are not afraid to have Peeps at your wedding.
Peeps for your peeps. Way to share the love at your wedding.
You're crackin' me up!
There is something so *quintessentially* (favorite word at the moment) American about them; only in America. My goodness, those fotos are simply to die for as well. I'm tickled that someone would even dedicate time to the little peeps. Even more tickled you have written a post about the love you share, or is it obsession, about peeps.
I had actually taken a bunch of fotos around Easter of all the peeps on display. I wanted to share them with my expat friends living abroad as I knew they would have a little nostalgia for these guys. Now I don't feel weird at all that soemone else has a passion for them too, although I think yours greater,LOL.
Featuring them at your wedding "takes the cake". Are you sure you might not want to dress a couple of them as bride and groom? Just a thought.
xo
*Whew I went on there but I couldn't resist :)
I love that you and I share our love of Peeps! And I thought you were kidding when you emailed about 400 marshmellow Peeps...now I'm even more excited!! Yeah for Peeps!
Peeps is what's kept us happy.... I can't wait to start dipping those little suckers... I do get to help, right? I'm sure that I am a more experienced Peep-handler than any caterer in the Beehive State.
Hurrah for 400 peeps making their presence known at your wedding! And blast Jacques Torres (boooo!) for their snobbery.
Lane,
I can’t say that I understood depth of your love for peeps. So in honor of that I did a little research and realized that peeps deserve more props than I had been giving them. For instance did you know that the amount of peeps eaten at Easter could more than circle Earth’s circumference. Or, that in 1950 it took 27 hours to make one peep. But today it takes 6 minutes. Good on peeps to have even made it through the 50’s! Maybe I should get back to work… naaa this was more important.
Jen
So I have two questions: are the Wedding Peeps going to be of the chocolate-dipped variety? And do you actually have 400 folks coming to the wedding, or does each guest get more than one, or have you ordered 200 or 300 extra for your hope chest? Maybe that was more than two questions...
Oh my goodness. I loved this post. I think I need to tell Katie to highlight this post on our wedding blog.
It is those little personal details that make it so special.
Peep lover unite!!! Remember when you so lovingly sent me a package full of peeps while I was studying in Israel and Jjana "accidentally" thought they were for her? At least she offered me one! I love you Jjana anyway! I just thought that was the most thoughtful thing. It just wouldn't have been Easter without them.........wait I was in the Holy Land......that was probably blasphemous.
oops, that should have started, "peep lovers unite". Sorry
Lest I be taken for a Peeps-crazed maniac, the wedding is not about the peeps--they're not even replacing the cake. Just a...flourish, I guess.
That said, it's been great hearing from other Peeps lovers (and friends with whom I've bonded over peeps!) on this very post.
Jen--the candy co. would only sell them in counts of 200, and I'm having about 250 guests, so I figured better to overestimate when it comes to Peeps. I'm SURE people will want more than one!
xoxo
Lane
bringing together the best things ever
chocolate + peeps. Will american ingenuity never cease?!
Congrats Lane! That is wonderful you are getting married, I waited until 30 and I have NO regrets. SOunds like you've had some fun adventures living om both coasts. Do you know Holly Bowers? She livedi n NYC and is one of my dearest friends! Anyway, good luck with everything...weddings are so much fun to plan.
Love-Mel
Have you ever played Peep jousting? It's GREAT!
Each person chooses a peep and puts a toothpick in it's chest. Then the players place their Peeps in the microwave facing eachother and turn it on. Whoever's Peep stabs the other first with it's toothpick wins the joust.
Try it....it's heaps of fun!
I have tried peeps jousting! And freezing peeps, and roasting them over a fire...(which tastes pretty bad, btw, the sugar just burns).
Thanks for the jousting reminder--always a good late-night-eaten-too-much-sugar activity.
Post a Comment