Friday, June 22, 2007

Her Treasured Day


I got so excited about the cake decorations yesterday, I almost forgot about the cake toppers. Which is what I was looking for in the first place. The only bad thing about this vintage 20's topper is that this pair might actually show you up at your own wedding. I love how perfectly romantic yet sassy this bride is, from her brief veil to her pink shoes and turned-up nose. And the groom--when was the last time you saw a white tie, fedora and spats? (Costume parties don't count).



Engraved in the bottom of this piece are the words, "Her Treasured Day." It's funny, but I like it. Wedding mags and such are always talking about "Your Day" or "The Big Day" like it's some sort of impending doom. My smart friend Olivia pointed out that many of our social rituals feel like they fail because we put so much emphasis on them, and idealize them, that they rarely live up to the hype. I like thinking of a wedding day as a treasured day: one that is valuable more in reflection than anticipation. And it is just one treasured day, one of many treasured days that begin when you start a new family.

5 comments:

kara jayne said...

Laner-
I can't believe I had to find your blog by reading a comment you left for Jenny! Anyway, I'm so glad I did. Your thought's and Olivias are dead on. I always love your insight. I'm so glad to get regular doses of Lane from now on!

ali said...

I like to think that when people say "big day" they mean "special day." Because it is a special day.

Did you decide on a cake topper? I meant to ask you after your last post. I like this one, though I doubt that cute little '20s bride will outshine you. :)

angie said...

she is a sassy topper! look at her personality - what fun! are you really going to have a topper - what fun!

Anne said...

I am especially fond of the pink shoes!

celeste said...

If I could do it all over again, (and believe you me, I have no desire to) I would model myself on our pink-shoed lady here. I doubt Matt would wear spats--too cheeky for him.