A niece! Little does she know what an extaordinarily long line of women, and more women, she has fallen into. We are so happy to have her--the long-awaited next installment.
I wish I could be with her and see her almond eyes and touch her little seashell ears. If I could, maybe I would read her this poem:
Mrs. Adam
by Kathleen Norris
I have lately come to the conclusion that I am Eve,
alias Mrs. Adam. You know, there is no account
of her death in the Bible, and why am I not Eve?
Emily Dickinson in a letter,
12 January, 1846
Wake up,
you’ll need your wits about you.
This is not a dream,
but a woman who loves you, speaking.
She was there
when you cried out;
she brushed the terror away.
She knew
when it was time to sin.
You were wise
to let her handle it,
and leave that place.
We couldn’t speak at first
for the bitter knowledge,
the sweet taste of memory
on our tongues.
Listen, it’s time.
You were chosen too,
to put the world together.
9 comments:
that poem is SO PERFECT! I love anything about women and Eve. Lucky little Elle Marie...she has so many wonderful women to look up to!
Beautiful...the baby...the poem...and your thoughts.
I LOVE newborns. I can almost smell her through the screen.
She looks JUST like Max!!
so, in answer to your Stegner question, I'm not sure what the name of the documentary is. But, if you go to KUED's website I'm sure you can find it.
It was interesting to hear that Stegner favored his women students because he saw how much his own mother struggled through life. Misogynistic? Perhaps. But I've never felt that way.
hooray. congrats to ashley. what a darling li'l doll and a sweet name to go along. when you see her give her a big high five from benji.
congrats! she is beautiful! and she has a wonderful aunt!!
oh lane, such a beautiful poem (and baby!)
as always, you can put it in words I don't have. Come visit soon- she is heaven to cuddle.
Adorable.
I can think of no other word.
Beautiful!
Congratulations to everyone!
Post a Comment