It's like a train wreck--I can't look away. Every time there is something about Mormons in the news (which has been a lot since the Romney campaign started) I have to read it, though it often pains me.
For me and some of my close friends, it reached a fever pitch when my good friend Emily, who does reviews for a Bay Area website, went to see a certain well-known comedian who went on a seemingly hateful tirade against Mormons in his act. She decided to say something about it in her review, and unleashed a tidal wave of anti-Mormon vitriol. The comedian himself commented on the website and joined the fray; it quickly became one of the most-read (and commented) articles ever on the site. Fuelling the whole bruehaha was a surprising number of people with strong feelings against the LDS faith.
I was stunned. I went to work that day with a pit in my stomach. I was the only Mormon in my department at a very liberal University. Would my friends and co-workers say those things about Mormons? Would they respond in the same way? I had only been treated with respect. But I wondered.
I wondered because some of the same authors and intellecuals I had my students read started making anti-Mormon comments. Christopher Hitchens, for example, called Mormonism a "mad cult" on Slate.com. I started to notice things, like the fact that there are a few persistent (though bedraggled and unenthusiastic) picketers in front of my church every Sunday. I was invited to dinner with one of my friends' families, well-educated Bostonians, who surmised that Romney had flip-flopped on the issues because "Joe Smith must've told him to be a fascist."
I've long noticed that people say and publish statements about Mormons that would be utterly unacceptable if the word "Mormon" were replaced with "black," "Jewish," "gay" or "Muslim." I am thankful that our society offers protection to minority groups--and wonder why Mormons are exempt. Several years ago, my favorite radio show (produced by Ira Glass, a personal hero) aired an essay by one of its regular contributors about how much he hates Mormons. The writer sits in his dentist's chair (his dentist is Mormon) and seethes with disgust for the faith while listening to his dentist talk to his assistant about his mission call. "Why?" I wanted to write This American Life. "Why is this okay, considered entertaining, when if you wrote this way about almost any other group it would be outrageous bigotry?" I was just out of college, had moved to the big city, and I was jarred by that essay--it made me feel more than confused. It made me feel vaguely...threatened.
All of these things piqued my paranoia that anti-Mormonism is more rampant than I had realized, and that the media's non-PC and sometimes harsh treatment of Mormons has sent the message to individuals that they could do the same. I felt somewhat validated when I saw this Wall Street Journal article this week titled "Mormons Dismayed by Harsh Spotlight." One quote reads, "I don't think that any of us had any idea how much anti-Mormon stuff was out there," said Armand Mauss, a Mormon sociologist who has written extensively about church culture, in an interview last week. "The Romney campaign has given the church a wake-up call. There is the equivalent of anti-Semitism still out there." I'm not sure if this should make me feel better because the problem is being taken seriously, or just freaked-out.
I've spoken to many friends who have noticed this, too. But everyone seems to have a different take on it. People who I respect fall on both sides of the camp--those who want to take a more aggressive approach and would like to see something like an Anti-defamation league, and those who are pacifist. There are also those who don't think there is a problem at all, but even the media is starting to confirm what many of us have sensed.
I take it all so personally, I actually feel kind of paralyzed. I have no idea what to do. Unfortunately, I think one solution for myself is the one that makes me most uncomfortable--outting myself often and openly. Confession: I sometimes avoid divulging that I'm Mormon if it's convenient, and I can get away with it. For example, I never divulge to my students that I'm LDS if I can help it. I figure, it opens a whole can of worms that have nothing to do with our course work, so why make it complicated? Especially in a a competitive academic environment in which background and education are often weighed and measured, it seems like a hassle if not a professional hazard.
Even as I write this, I know that it's incredibly cowardly and silly. There are lot of people with much more exposure and a lot more to lose than I do, who handle this all without breaking a sweat. And, of course, The fact that I'm Mormon might have something to do with what I'm teaching, afterall. I try to choose readings that make my students (and myself) think hard about pre-conceived notions and biases. Why should I shy away from my own (sometimes controversial) faith? Besides, I might learn something myself, even if it's just learning to respond better or getting a tougher skin. I might also be surprised that what I sometimes take for a negative response to my faith might just be naivety or surprise.
A few months ago, I went to see a play one of my former students put on. She was one of my star students, and we have kept in touch. She eagerly introduced me to her parents. They asked where I did my undergrad, and when I responded that I went to BYU, there was an awkward pause. I assumed they were thinking, "We paid all this money to have our daughter taught by a BYU grad?" and that their opinion of me slid just a little. Or, maybe they were just caught off-guard, or maybe they had indigestion. But who's to say maybe their expectations or ideas about Mormons didn't shift just a little for the better? I don't know. But I do know that when I hide my faith, that last scenario can't happen. And isn't that what I'm hoping for here, afterall?
Friday, February 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
24 comments:
I don't even know where to start. Lane, you are brilliant, real, and so right. Having lived in various places across the country and encountered all kinds of opinions on Mormonism I completely understand what you mean.
Part of me wants to go on and on about it, but let me just say that your final scenario is most likely what happens when people meet YOU. Let's all just try to do our part to encourage that.
I had to register at the hospital for a test yesterday and the registrar asked me a series of questions about myself, insurance, occupation, marital status, religion?
Ummm....Latter Day Saint.....errr Mormon. I'm Mormon.
Then her eyes left the computer screen and peered at me from above her glasses. I sighed and mustered a smile.
i've been thinking about this a lot, too. i fell like "educated" america has pretty much lost touch with the concept of faith, and most of those who haven't belong to faiths with strong anti-mormon views. believing in something that you can't see or prove simply seems ridiculous to most people... and strangely, i think the fact that we believe that these miraculous events occurred so recently makes our faith in them seem even more unbelievable.
sometimes it gets to me, and i'll wonder if i really am some kind of brainwashed nut,but then i'll go to church and there it is: still true... still undeniably, ridiculously, wonderfully true.
Thank you, Lane. You do such a nice job of verbalizing that which has been on my mind for some time, first with Em's experience and now with Romney. I've always tried to be ME first, then Mormon. Friend first, then Mormon. Teacher first, then Mormon. So someone might say about you, "She is my cool free-thinking teacher who also happens to be Mormon," instead of "My Mormon teacher." But lately I'm thinking, what's wrong with Mormon first? I don't think I have to shy away from it so much right off the bat.
p.s. Ashley: why did the hospital need to know your religion?
This has clearly been bugging me for a long time. The reason I wrote that review was to make up for all the times I haven't said anything. I finally decided that I would stand up for bigotry against beliefs I didn't share, and that I might as well defend my own.
I heard Jacob W* (?) one of the editors of Slate in an interview with Terry Gross a couple of weeks ago. He said hat you can't judge someone for a faith they were born into (or what I would dub cultural/ heritage beliefs) but that you can and should judge them for beliefs that they espouse as adults. He continued on to say that one should be especially suspect of new religions where beliefs have not evolved into metaphors. WOW. It was the oddest and most blatant statement of "how to pick and choose your bigotry" at will I've ever heard. Sophistry at its finest, and a new form of intellectual bias that was deeply disturbing to me.
I cringed throughout the Romney campaign (and for that matter, the Obama and Clinton) campaigns for all the latent bigotry that has been aroused in our country. At first I was dismayed. Now I'm glad that the rock has been turned over and all the slimy creepy crawlies are facing the day light. I hope that it makes things better.
On a related note.. there are a few smart people out there taking on the Hitchens and Dawkins of the world (scary task). This talk was good: http://franciscollinstalk.stanford.edu/
Why is it such a sticky subject?? I agree with you. I myself have had a hard time putting my "mormonism" first. But it is such a HUGE part of who I am. And I like who I am. It really shouldn't stop us. We are free to believe what we want. I just wish everyone respected that.
Here in Colorado we held caucuses for the republican canidates. Justin and I attended the one in our precinct. We were joined with about 50 others from our ward and about 30 outsided our religon. A young woman sat down next to me. We talked for a while. When she could tell that I knew a lot of people in the room she commented on how she knew no one. I told her that I knew most of these people from church. She asked me what church I went to and I told her "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints". She then just gave me a blank look and turned away from me. I thought to myself oh well whatever, she can think what she wants. But then I decided wait a minute. That should not be a reason to not talk to me. So I continued to pester her ALL night long. I never stopped talking to her. I just kept throwing out questions and got one liners hit back at me. But I did not stop. I am a very good person. And I will not be judged anyway different. Our religion is so personal to us all. So it pains us when someone tells us it is something less than it is. It's like someone telling us that our child is stupid and ugly. Even if they are we still continue to love them!!
I used to identify the anti-Mormon bias as coming mainly from the secular left, like those pundits you mentioned which seem to have found a sympathetic home for their vitriol on Slate. What troubles me is that the right seems to be ready to lead the charge now too. I used to think that the vast majority of evangelicals, while they might keenly disagree with our doctrine, didn't believe our voice should be disregarded in the American conversation. In fact, I felt some affinity for their feelings of marginalization at the hands of the secular left. But, I no longer believe that is true. I think it is still important to be involved in the political process, intellectual dialog, and culture, but it's hard not to feel marginalized when you have a sense of what people are saying about you and your people behind your back. Thanks for speaking out, Lane and Emily.
Lane! My heart feels all those things oh so much. Thanks for writing and sharing. I find that now even good friends think badly of me becaue I'm Mormon...but so are they. What's up with that? It seems to come from all directions some days.
In January, there was a great article by Noah Feldman in the Sunday Magazine of the New York Times, about bigotry and Mormonism. You should check it out. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/magazine/06mormonism-t.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=noah+feldman&st=nyt&oref=slogin
NY Times Article!
Thanks for the comments, y'all. I find it interesting that many of you have noticed that the secular left and religious right both seem to be obstacles. Maybe anti-Mormonism is the one thing they can agree on??
Thanks for the additional links, too. Emily is great about forwarding articles, so I'll try to post some she's passed on. I'm also kind of amazed by theromneyexperience.com, which is run by a young slc lawyer who decided to single-handedly take on confusion about mormonism during the election. It's interesting to check out as an experimental (and quite successful!)response to confusion about the faith.
Lane
On every bit, I'm with you.
Once I walked into a room full of co-workers who all averted their eyes and went silent. I jokingly asked what they were all so ashamed of. Later I heard that one had decided to show our new resident all the LDS people on a list of staff members. HELLO! Later I was able to tell her that it really hurt my feelings. I also asked her if she pointed out all the Jewish people? And what she would think of someone who did that? (Keep in mind that we worked together 8 hrs. a day for 8 years so we could talk about anything) We ended up having a good / long conversation about it. I don’t think that she even realized how hurtful and bigoted she sounded until we talked about it. So even though it was tough I think it was worth it. It also helped to remind myself that she was only one voice. All the more important to be another.
I am actually grateful for all of the "Mormon" discussion. I think it is amazing how blatant people are about thier disgust with Mormons. I have to say that I have lost some respect for some of the people I really enjoyed before. I heard the same interview with Terry Gross and I was completely taken back. I really did take it personally and then I thought, "What does he know?" Maybe he shouldn't believe everything he reads. Then I was dissapointed at how Terry encouraged him and agreed with him, more or less.
I always tell people I am a member of the church. It is just too much of my identity to not share that. I have even said it on NPR on the air, I wanted them to know that I am a Mormon woman AND I was a thinking member of society. I guess I hope that I live in such a way that if they have a poor view of church members that knowing me will at least make them pause before going on with thier narrow minded assumptions. I would guess that the parents of your students had to pause.
To continue this novella, I think that this might give those of us who are members of the church and not staunch Republicans, a chance to come out a little bit more and let those around (in and out of the church) us know that there is at least a little more variety in the church than usually assumed.
Also, I am fortunate to know Emily and I am so glad she spoke up too. She is so great! I think that it is very important to tel it like it is. I don't think that there needs to be any anit-defamation thing with this, I just think we all need to call people on poor judgment and then be good Christians in the truest most compassionate and fovgiving way we can. Forgive the length and the wacky grammar/spelling.
If I write anything else I will have to start my own blog. :)
Hey all,
No one here knows me. I'm a friend of a friend of a friend of Lane's. I was taken to your post, Lane, b/c this is all so incredibly interesting. I have read Emily's article and David Cross's response and everyone else's responses as well.
To be honest, I think people have contempt for Mormons because they feel like Mormons are being duped into a silly belief system. It just annoys people. "How could Mormons possibly believe . . ." is a common refrain.
There needs to be more discussion about WHY educated people like you believe in the Church. It's sad to have to defend your faith, but due to the stories circulating about the Church (some true, some not), it is more damaging to allow people to think the Church's adherents are crazy. Let's bring the religion out on the table to demystify it.
I don't have a faith. I just don't know what's going on in this or other universes. I have no idea how anyone can just choose a faith based on feeling when all the other religions have members who are doing the exact same thing. I just try to live a good life by dedicating my career to helping make disadvantaged people's live better (public interest attorney), having intregity (100% honesty) and loving my friends and family.
What really boggles my mind is Christians who think the Mormon religion is silly when the Bible is full of tall tales. Sure, with the passage of time, these became fables. Convenient. Many Christians out there believe Jonah was indeed swallowed whole by a whale and walked out of it alive to tell his story. Atheists, too, are silly to me when they state that those believing in a god are naive. It's as much as a belief to not believe in a god than to believe in one.
Like the above poster, I am a friend of a friend of a friend...etc. Who also referred me to your post. I thought you might find this article on lds.org to fall right in line with this conversation. Apparently Russell M. Ballard is urging church members to use blogs to start a national conversation about the church. click here to get the article on lds.org
bethanne--I hope you do start your own blog, I'd like to read it!
Thanks to everyone for weighing in on a subject that is apparently not just on my mind--but is pervasive and close-to-home for many of us. Staci, your thoughtful and frank response is exactly the kind of dialgue I'd like to have more of.
I'm all about starting an anti-defamation league or something along those lines. This widespread ignorance is extremely disappointing.
I'm a husband of a friend of a friend.
There actually is something like an anti-defamation league.
fairlds.org
Just a bunch of latter-day Saints who have dedicated some of their time to defending the faith against anti-mormons. It's not exactly neutral, but I still like it.
I grew up in California surrounded by non-LDS people. I have to point out that I think there are less misconceptions out there than LDS members seem to think. I have often heard things like "they can't drink caffeine" or "they wear some kind of strange underwear", not untrue and understandably perceived as odd. Those are the kinds of things that turn people off. Not some kind of gross distortion like "I heard they sacrifice goats in their temples", although I may have heard that once! I really think most people have the facts straight. Do members of the LDS church realize how their doctrine appears to the non-LDS world? It's not that it is taken out of context or distorted, so much as the fact that the actual doctrine itself is believed by some to be not only ridiculous, but able to be proven false without a doubt. I'm sure it is very hurtful to read these opinions about something so personal. Is it "anti-mormon" opinions alone that are disturbing or is it the way these opinions are delivered? Should non-believers be able to share their opinions or not? Is there an example of an appropriate comment in opposition to the LDS faith? What constitutes "anti-mormon sentiment"? Overall, are Mormons being attacked or is the LDS religion being attacked? Is it acceptable for the Mormon religion to be under scrutiny in the media?
I am really asking.
Dee-good questions. I think familiarity with Mormons is largely a West Coast phenomenon. On the East Coast I am usually the first flesh-and-blood Mormon most of my friends know, and people often confuse my religion with the Mennonites. Most people I've met know next-to-nothing about the faith except for what they've seen on Big Love (which, of course, is not about Mormons, but most people think it is, thus perpetuating stereotypes and confusion).
As to what constitutes anti-mormonism, personally I think that people should absolutely look at and talk about the faith critically. However, anything that is hateful cannot further discussion or open dialogue, neither can anything that seeks to deny a group of the rights of basic citizenship. It's those kinds of comments (especially in the mainstream media) that concern me.
Ah, yes of course! That is interesting about Mormon awareness on the East Coast. I didn't think about that! That makes sense. There are so many more Mormons out west. WOW that must be tough for you to work at a liberal college where people have very strong opinions about it. It seems to be the academic world that has the strongest criticism of Mormonism, and all religion.
I hope I didn't come across as unsympathetic because I agree that Mormons have been ridiculed alot lately and I despise anything hateful or disrespectful. I read everything on your posts and links, and feel like most is criticism of the faith, not the members. But then, if you call the faith stupid then that indirectly says something about the members. So I understand why it feels personal. Maybe I'm wrong and I need to re-read them! I no longer identify myself with the faith so I am not as sensitive to harsh criticism of it.
I'm just trying to understand some things.
Thanks for giving me a good idea of what is considered anti-mormon to you. I agree with you, but haven't yet seen anyone seeking to deny the rights of Mormons. Have you? That would be alarming!
It makes sense that the Church would be under scrutiny right now, since Romney and Big Love. It reminds me of what people are saying about Obama's recent attacks that started soon after he became viewed by many as the frontrunner of the Democratic party. The Mormon Church is just getting the "kitchen sink" treatment.
I'm trying to wrap my head around these issues of free speech and bigotry. I strongly feel the importance of free speech yet despise bigotry in any form. I wonder if it is ever appropriate for a person to publicly denounce a religion.
Dee-
You bring up important points. I think the basic dictionary definition of bigotry works in this case as well. It's ok to say "i think x is dumb". But to day, "I think anyone who agrees with or belidves x is dumb" is not-- because it denies the possibility that there is internal logic to a belief system.
I think you'd be surprised how here on the West Coast how much bigotry towards Mormons there really is. Again.. fine to make fun of stuff you don't believe (though frankly I think it's in bad taste and indicative of a closed mind), but I have had countless situations where anyone who is Mormon has been questioned as being unintelligent etc.
I think that your argument sounds (though I doubt you're actually espousing what he says) pretty close to Jake W's.... the new form of soft bigotry, where you exclude old religions and anyone who is culturally religious but not a true believer, and then think everyone else is suspect and dumb. Anytime someone makes rules about who it is ok to agree with and who it is not, based on their personal world view, I think we've crossed into bigotry, and need to be very careful.
Just my thoughts.
No I don't agree with Jacob W. on that, actually. I think a person should be judged individually and not be defined by their religion. I don't think anyone should be judged, but unfortunately, in choosing our leaders we must. And Mormonism needs to not be singled out. The LDS Church definitely has always been a target of most of this wrath. I was just pointing out that perhaps there is a way to express an opinion of a particular belief system without being disrespectful to its followers. Still I don't know.
While I agree that the examples in Lane's post show some attitudes and statements that are unnecessarily vicious, I do think it can be understood.
I would argue that perhaps people feel justified in attacking Mormonism, and even Mormons, because they are coming from a defensive stance. Here is this very large, powerful, and rapidly expanding religion that claims to be the One True Church and teaches that in order for a person to be accepted into the highest kingdom of God, they must accept it. So it says to all the other religions and people of the world, you are wrong and what you feel is true in your heart is not the whole truth, if not entirely false. There is something deeply insulting in that belief to the Gentiles and Apostates of the world.
Oh no, I didn't mean for that to sound so dramatic! Yikes. I hope I am not being offensive. I surely don't mean to be.
Post a Comment