Saturday, January 19, 2008

warming my heart

I think I've found the place I want to live. It's the Arizona Biltmore Hotel, in Phoenix. This is the time of year when B Dub and I hunker down with our Netflix, order delivery, and surf the web fantasizing about warmer locales (15 degrees and below most of the weekend).

B is from Arizona, and was holding out on me. We've done the Taliesin West tour (loved it) of Frank Lloyd's Wright's school in Phoenix, but he just told me about the masterpiece of hospitality designed by one of Wright's proteges, Albert McArthur, built in 1929. Some fun facts about the "where I'd rather be" spot of the moment:

Famous weddings at the Biltmore include Sandra Day O'Connor's.

Celebrity honeymooners include Ronald and Nancy Reagan.

The words to the song "White Christmas" were penned poolside at the Arizona Biltmore, by Irving Berlin.

The Biltmore was owned for many years by the Wrigley family, of the chewing gum fortune.

Marilyn Monroe deemed the Biltmore's her "favorite pool."

I'm sure the pool is grand, but I think the interior is the most impressive--I wouldn't mind reading my paper here, having dinner with friends here, and if you're having a wedding reception or gala affair anytime soon, may I humbly suggest this spot, featuring a gold-leaf celing.

If you live in Arizona, or are going anytime soon, please go the the Biltmore and tell me if it's as wonderful as it looks to me right now, while I'm huddled next to the radiator.

7 comments:

jamieanne said...

Sheesh, Brit does hold out on all the good stuff. Get on a plane and I'll meet you there tomorrow!

Ashley A. said...

I'll see your Biltmore and raise you one Valley Ho Hotel. http://www.hotelvalleyho.com

ps. i also love arizona AND there is a Gelato Classico in walking distance.

kara jayne said...

Does this mean there is a chance you and Brit might end up in AZ? I sure hope so. If not, at least you might come and visit more often. I've driven by over the years of coming down to visit cousins, but have never been. I think I will be suggesting this one for out anniversary this summer.

Lane said...

I love AZ but so far B cannot be persuaded back to his home state, alack alack. I'll definitely come visit--meanwhile, go the the Biltmore for me!!

ali said...

No more Arizona talk, please. But this is another stop on my list! Great find B Dub and LA Dub.

JDM said...

This place looks so fun. If we ever make it to the AZ I know where we are staying!

Also did I ever tell you that I secretly love White Christmas? It just isn't Christmas w/o watching it. The numbers are so over the top. (The Mandy number makes me laugh every time) Where did that type of dancing/ entertainment go?

Dansie Family said...

in all my years in AZ i never visited. i'll have to someday.