Thursday, January 17, 2008

back...home?

After a long winter's break, I'm back in NYC for the first time in a month. It's always a weird transition back to the city after I've been away for a while. I always think of New York as a place I live until....something. Until I can't stand living without a car, or washer/dryer, or dish washer, need to own real estate, go broke, finally grow up. I don't really live here. I just live here, until.

Now that I've been here for 3.5 years, 1.5 years longer than I was supposed to, it really does kind of feel like coming home. It doesn't hurt that I had my own little apartment and B Dub to come home to. While I was out and about running errands in my ginormous caterpillar coat, once again re-adjusting to post-car life, I stopped at the farmer's market and bought some hot apple cider.

Hot apple cider, it turns out, is not really a good street accessory for a New Yorker. You can't walk fast (it threatens to splash all over your hand) and you can't get stuff done--banking, grocery shopping--all two-handed activities. So, after a couple of frustrated blocks, I pulled over on the sidewalk and stopped. I just stood there and enjoyed my cider--and realized--I never really stop on the sidewalk...ever. I looked up and down the street and saw how pretty the skyline was against the clouds. I saw a person playing chess on the street. I saw another person selling used books from a card table. In a third-story window overhead someone playing basketball made a basket in an indoor children's gym. Two little girls walked by and said goodbye to each other.

I was struck by how unusual and mundane this place is. I should probably stop on the sidewalk in New York while until lasts.

4 comments:

JDM said...

You write so well I feel like I am with you on the street! I love moments like that when you can just sit back and watch life happening. I love when you can take a breath and appreciate what you have. And it sounds like you have a pretty amazing until.

celeste said...

I'm here in Utah until too. Maybe the message is to be fully present and enjoy the moment.

Ashley A. said...

Although the temporary can feel fleeting I also find it most enjoyable. Maybe because I find permanence a bit paralyzing (I nearly had a nervous break down when we bought our first home). Knowing that it isn't forever makes me dive in.

jamieanne said...

Amen sister. Both sisters. Plus Celeste.