
My favorite thing about my old neighborhood in Harlem was the McDonald's, which had two defining features:
1. A parking lot (where do you see a parking lot in Manhattan?)
2. A walk-up Window. Yes, WALK-up.
It had a drive-up window too, but like most New Yorkers (except for cabbies), I have no car. So, the drive-up had no appeal for me. Actually, it had some appeal for me around 11:30 pm. when I'd get a hankering for a twisty cone. But McDonald's is closed after 10 p.m except for the drive-up window. No car, no drive-up, no twisty cone. (You cannot walk through the drive-up, yes I asked.)
Enter McDonald's greatest invention since special sauce: The late-night walk-up window. It's a tiny box, sort of like the kind they have at gas stations where it's just a dude behind a thick shield of plastic and you have to slide your cash under the window. But instead of old candy bars and chew, you can get a quarter-pounder.
You can imagine my delight when I saw that the McDonald's on my block just added a walk-up window a couple weeks ago. I'll admit, probably the only reason I would go to McDonald's is because I think the walk-up window is so genius. Late night twisty cones, here I come.
Enter McDonald's greatest invention since special sauce: The late-night walk-up window. It's a tiny box, sort of like the kind they have at gas stations where it's just a dude behind a thick shield of plastic and you have to slide your cash under the window. But instead of old candy bars and chew, you can get a quarter-pounder.
You can imagine my delight when I saw that the McDonald's on my block just added a walk-up window a couple weeks ago. I'll admit, probably the only reason I would go to McDonald's is because I think the walk-up window is so genius. Late night twisty cones, here I come.
8 comments:
It's the little things in life...
i've tried to walk up to many a drive up in my day. never works. what's up with that? glad you're finding simple pleasures!
i loved that old harlem mickey dee's. so glad that the uws is steppin up.
Have you studied photography much? Your pictures are so great! I want to shoot photos like that. Do you really have to take a class? Or is it just in the lens?
I love this post because it gives me a clear picture of New York City in my head. That late-night secure walk-up window is HILARIOUS! I'd be there constantly for the hot fudge sundae with peanuts.
Michael Pollan would be ashamed!
That Micky D's is the funniest. It is always hoppin' with cabbies. Someone should wise up and put a gas station and car wash next to it.
I'm more of a chocolate shake kind of person. Try that next time you walk-through.
i too have tried to walk through the drive-thru. for my last late night mcd's run,(after ward futsol) i enjoyed a hot fudge sundae with strawberries.
i used to live in harlem on 140th b/w fredrick douglass & adam clayton powell! me and my roommates were always walking through late at night for the apple pies and the parking lot never had cars parked in it, just town car cabs (never yellow cabs!) driving through! too funny:)
Post a Comment