Tuesday, April 22, 2008

earth day


I made some mini-resolutions for Earth Day. All of them take 10 minutes or less, and will help me feel less guilty about my consumer-ish existence. Many of them are things I've been meaning to get around to--Earth Day seemed like the perfect time.


1. Bought a Sigg water bottle to replace the parade of plastic bottles that lead from my home to the recycle bin every week. Sigg bottles are BpH-free (harmful chemicals found in plastic that can leach into food and drink), easy to clean, and made from stainless steel or aluminum with a leach-free liner. All the cool kids have them--both the directors of my program tote them. Plus, they're cuter than plastic (sorry Nalgene lovers).


2. Bought a re-usable grocery bag, so the parade of plastic bags from my house to the recycle bin can also cease. Emily hunted down a bunch of adorable versions here. These bags are way more stylish than the white plastic variety, and don't get stuck in treetops or landfills.


3. B called the unsubscribe number on the back of the catalogs that come to our home. Sometimes we get six or seven a day! It took like 30 seconds. A bunch of other ways to opt-out from junk mail, thanks to Ashley:


-Register for free with http://www.catalogchoice.org/




-Call and ask to be removed from credit card companies central mailing lists 1-888-5-OPTOUT


Any other ideas? I still have a few hours of Earth Day left!

5 comments:

kara jayne said...

Good tips! I'm feeling green!

{alison alfandre} said...

I've been meaning to unsubscribe to all the catalogue places for a really long time! Thanks for the links.

Dee said...

LOVE IT! I'm totally doing everything you suggested.

I spent my Earth Day at La Jolla beach screaming and ducking from every low-flying pigeon. I cursed them and said they should all die. I didn't really mean it, I don't think. But I wouldn't have been more terrorized if there were bats flying all around me. I would have a panic attack in New York with all those pigeons.

Ann Marie said...

love our siggs & cloth bags. i would suggest using public transit more, but you already do that. way to save our planet, lane!

angie said...

i saw siggs at whole foods and almost got them!

as for ideas - i guess turning off the water when you brush your teeth is a good conservationist thing to do!