
Easter is probably my favorite holiday spirituality-wise (not as commercial as Christmas) and also confectionary-wise. Holidays sometimes are an interesting situation for me in NYC, though, because we're so far away from family.
When I first moved here I had fantasies about having a new persona, shedding my old self and re-creating an all-new me (I think in this particular fantasy I dyed my hair black, in the end I just cut bangs). It turns out being an all-new me is not what it's cracked up to be. Because I didn't know anyone when I moved here, none of my new friends knew anything about my past--I had no context. Creating a personhood proved kind of a chore and I wished that people knew my family, my embarassing moments so we could rehash them, personal jokes like when I say..."What's the time?" They're supposed to say, "Time to get ILL!" But no one knew me or my Beastie Boy references.
This year I got to spend Easter I was especially grateful for Easter brunch with old friends; especially B Dub and this awesome lady. We bonded, many years ago, over marshmallow peeps. Which I have found to be as good a measure of friendship as any.
12 comments:
It's so funny to just read that you love Easter most, because all week I have been thinking about how much I like it less than any other holiday, almost hating it! I think it's because it was always such a dud for me and I'm so not a morning person. Easter is like the morning to me...birth, new life, etc. I tend to treasure things past, relishing the night, which I know I should try to change. I start out grumpy and then appreciate the day when it is almost gone and then refuse to end it by going to bed. My life has been the same so far. So I think I may enjoy old age even more than my youth!
Peeps have always bummed me out! To me their taste and appearance are so unmatched. They are so adorable and yet I can't eat them! It's like eating a gooey sugar cube and makes me sick. I wish I could enjoy the little buggers the way you do! :)
Olivia's blog is wonderful. I love poetry so I will be popping in there often!
Mmmmm...peeps! I've never really lived far from home so it's interesting to hear your thoughts on establishing yourself in a new place...as we will soon be somewhere new.
I didn't get to partake of any, but I thought of you when I saw the Peeps lined up at the grocerymart.
I too am headed someplace new. I'm just hoping to do a good job of being my best self. New beginnings.
lane and peeps have almost become synonymous for me!
I think of you every Easter time when I am out buying the kids basket stuff. I sure do miss you. Can't wait to see you in a couple months!
we enjoyed green peeps with green jell-o for st. patty's. porter just saw your picture of peeps and declared we should have them for dessert.
I saw a whole pile of Peeps on sooper dooper sale and almost filled my shopping cart with them...for you.
Hi Lane,
first...you have GOT to try Peeps TOASTED! Yep, like over an open fire...good luck with that in the city, but they are the best...poor innocent little chicks and bunnies, but seriously...roast'em and toast'em!
Second...a blog you may like, or not...
http://babymakesthree-sf.com/
hope your week is great!
Toodles for now!
Becky! How did you know?? Alex and Heather of Baby Makes Three are old friends of mine. Do you know them??
Thanks for the tip!
Lane - I recall you, Alex, Robby and possibly Jana being good friends at Butler Middle. Since then my parents have moved into the house next to the Becksteads. Funny...my oldest got Debbie's name wrong and now we all still call her 'Biggie Deckstead'!
Anyway, my mom turned me onto Alex and Heather's site and then I thought of YOU!
More importantly...Have you toasted the peeps yet?!?!
dude, i TOTALLY know the "time 'a git ILL," ref, so don't be hatin'... i loved our brunch... thanks for being my friend.
Post a Comment