Friday, September 7, 2007

1 in 8 Million

Britton coined a little saying that I think is quite clever:

"If you are one in a million, in New York, there are eight of you."

I find this thought-provoking and a little creepy, especially when I spot someone on the street who looks familiar, or like my evil twin, or is just extraordinarily weird.

I got a jury summons and went to the Court House yesterday, and when the guy behind the desk looked me up in the system, he informed me that I am the only person with my name in all of Manhattan (as far as prospective juror records go, which believe me, in New York are quite thorough). Granted, that's only Manhattan, not all five boroughs. But nonetheless, I felt pretty cool to have beaten the NYC clone odds.

5 comments:

Ashley A. said...

Is that the single or married version? or is there a difference?

Lane said...

This is my maiden name--which, as of yet, is the only name I have :)

marta said...

WOW. hooray hooray. lane is such a lovely name. goodie gumdrops. i love having a unique name too. although people seem to have a hard time with it, that or they think i am hispanic.

ps. congrats and welcome home.

ali said...

You ARE an original. And your married last name is pretty awesome, too.

jamieanne said...

You should have had them check the married name too. Just for kicks.