
Has anyone else ever heard of this? Apparently it is a new trend to "trash" your bridal gown in a photo session after your wedding. I understand the post-wedding angst that might be relieved by destroying your dress by rolling in mud, floating in a swamp, or, on a particularly self-destructive streak, setting the frock aflame while you're still wearing it. (All of these scenarios have been captured by photographer John Michael Cooper who apparently started the craze, see photos here.)
My problem with this isn't the actual destroying of the dress, it's the capturing it on film in fashion-photog style. Rather than a blunt-force closure, this seems a way to drag out the "I'm in the wedding spotlight" moment even longer. It's one more wedding must-have that kind of makes my head swim. True, I probably won't ever wear my gown again (a common rationale for the "trashers"), but if I already have engagement photos, bridal portraits, pictures of the ceremony, reception, and close-ups of artistically presented food at said reception, do I really need another set of pictures of me on the beach, wearing organza, cat-crawling toward the camera?
I've always thought that wedding gowns might make amazing parachutes. If anyone wants to work out some post-wedding angst, pull on that ballgown and let's go skydiving--or at least maybe the high-dive at the local pool. No cameras, just some freaking amazing cannonballs. Who's coming with me??
9 comments:
I'd torch my wedding dress anyday. I hated that thing, and have Danielle's to blame for it! Boo.
Does it matter if the dress is ten years old? I think that could be a lot of fun.
Three cheers for cannonballs of the third platform!
That was supposed to say "off."
And also, I'm loving your blog.
You are too funny!
I just recently unpacked the wedding dress from my first marriage and asked myself,"What am I to do with this?" I'm not keeping it, obviously, but have wondered what exactly does one do with these things? Perhaps, I will be meeting you up on the high platform?
I'm glad your post helped me find some humour in all of this. :)
Is there any way you could integrate this into your reception, maybe? Save on the live band and just let the guests watch you try to catch a greased hog, or engage in some mud wrestling with your special dude? Or maybe fill the dress with candy and thrash it pinata-style right before you make your getaway?
All this discussion of dress distruction makes my heart hurt.
I really enjoy the trash the dress concept, but I don't think it should have to become part of the norm. Besides, some people can really pull off the sliming around sexily in their bridal mud, but others...just look ridiculous. Maybe it depends on the photographer more than the subject.
Hey, hang on to that parachute. You may find someone who wants to wear it for their wedding (my little sis did).
Post a Comment